Recently, Microsoft officials released news about new .Net Core Tools updates in Visual Studio 2017. This article includes the list of updates made by them to the .Net Core SDK. You can ask your questions related to .net development or newly released tools at the end via comments.
This is the big release for the .net core SDK as it marks an important expansion to its capabilities. Before going further, we should start from the basic.
What is .Net core?
.Net Core is among those open source frameworks released by Microsoft and maintained by .Net community. Why experts recommend .Net Core and not .net? Since .Net is a framework that runs on Microsoft platform only, experts find .Net core better because it is an open source framework and a cross-platform application development tool that supports Mac OS, Windows, and Linux. You can use .Net Core in the IoT, Cloud, Asp.net Web API and some embedded devices.
.Net was first introduced in 2002, which runs on Visual Studio .Net and .Net 1.0 version. The latest version .Net Core 1.0 released in 2016 supports VS 2015 and VS 2017 RC.
The below image will make you understand about development and deployment of .Net core applications.
What improvements have been made in the release?
- Templates – dotnet new has been updated and now it is based on a new templating engine.
- The location of the .net standard class library template has been shifted to new .Net Standard node.
- Quality – Around 50 fixes have been done throughout the tools to enhance product reliability.
The quality fixes have been done throughout the .NET CLI, MsBuild, MuGet, and also in Visual Studio.
Features offered by .Net Core
There is a list of features provided by .Net Core, including-
- Deployment – .Net core is incorporated in your app or it is downloaded online and installed in the client’s computer for local deployment.
- Cross Platform – .Net Core runs on all the platforms including Mac OS, Windows, and Linux.
- Open source – .Net Core can be downloaded for free from official website and GitHub as it is MIT and Apache 2 license.
- Command line tools- With the help of CLR, developers and users get ability to demonstrate an application, using command line interface.
- Compatible – .Net Core is compatible with available .Net framework, Xamarin, and Mono through .net standard library.
- Support – .Net core is a Microsoft product maintained by .Net community.
Officials made a significant change with this .Net Core release to the tags in the dotnet repo. This is a breaking change as the msbuild SDK is incompatible with the project.json based SDK.
OpenSUSE 13.2 and Fedora 23 recently went out of support, which means officials are no longer supporting or building for openSUSE 13.2 and Fedora 23.
The latest update .Net Core includes major improvements to make the csproj project files smaller. You can find more info on updating project files if you are using .net core project files created with older versions of Visual Studio 2017.
Dotnet New command is among critical parts of the .net core tools 2017 experiences. This command can be used by both new and experienced .net core users. Its major characteristics are –
Officials are working on a way to allow templates to be updated. For significant fixes, they are updating templates without interacting with the user. For general updates, they may add a new – update option.
In this post, Custom asp.net development services company have highlighted quality improvements. They even bring new exciting features that make developers more productive at the command line. They hope to integrate the latest system into Visual Studio, too, which will allow everyone to share templates throughout all .Net Core tools.
Have questions? Write them down in comments and wait for experts to respond your query. Do share this post with your contacts to spread this news and let people know about the latest updates introduced by officials in .net core.
You find this article by searches related to following terms:
- .Net Core Tools
- .net core tools 1.1
- .net core tools preview for visual studio
- .net core tools download
- .net core tools preview 3
- .net core tools msbuild
- .net core tools visual studio 2017
- .net core tools release date
- .net core tools for visual studio 2017
- .net core tools for visual studio 2017 update