Majority of patients who have undergone hip replacement surgery are often anxious about when they can return to normal life. There are many factors that determine recovery time and it varies from person to person. But on an average, patients can return to normal life in the space of 1 to 6 months.
It is good to be prepared for the surgical procedure including ascertaining hip replacement in india cost. One must also be prepared for short term and long term recovery.
SHORT TERM RECOVERY
It is the early stage of recovery where you are evaluated on basis of being able to get out of hospital bed and thus be discharged from hospital.
It is quite common that, on the first or second day, majority of patients are provided a walker for stability. Most patients can go home on the third day.
Short term recovery also consists of being weaned off pain killers and the ability to sleep full nights without pills. There comes a stage when patients does not need any walking aids and can walk around the room without pain. These are signs of recovery of short term. In this case, patient can even walk two blocks around the house without rest or pain. On an average, short term recovery time for this surgery is four to six weeks.
LONG TERM RECOVERY
It involves total healing of internal soft tissues and surgical wounds. Long term recovery is when patient can return to daily routine activities and even work. One another indicator is when patient begins to feel normal. On an average the time for recovery after hip replacement surgery is around 6 months. Patients are considered as ‘recovered’ when their current situation has improved beyond their arthritic pain level before the surgery.
There are other factors impacting recovery time.
- Have a positive attitude: patient must be ready to face some pain, some hard work and a belief that they are going to be well.
- Patient must be fully aware of what the surgery entails and how they can recover successfully.
- Patient must have strong support network.
- Patent must be prepared financially to meet hip replacement cost india.
- Patient must get medical support for pain management. Many patients worry about getting addicted to pain medication. They risk recovery if they stop pain medicine. Patients need to know that they can reach out to their medical team for help in pain management.
- Physical therapy is another crucial factor. Majority of exercises for hip replacement surgery can be carried out at home. Patients are urged to consider physical therapy as an integral part of recovery program. The more dedicated is a patient to physical therapy, sooner is his or her recovery.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER SURGERY:
- Stitches will be removed within a fortnight.
- When your are recovering at home, don’t be surprised if you feel tired as this is the impact of this major surgery. This is part of your healing.
- You need to consume anti-blood clotting medicine for at least a month.
- Consult doctor for pain relief medication like ibuprofen and paracetamol.
- Avoid certain movements like crossing your legs or twisting your hip.
- You will need crutches for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Follow surgeon’s advice before resuming the task of driving.
These are some aspects about recovering from hip replacement surgery.
You find this article by searches related to following terms:
- RECOVER FROM HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY
- pain after hip replacement surgery
- hip replacement recovery timeline
- hip replacement recovery exercises
- life after hip replacement
- how long does it take to recover from a hip replacement
- hip replacement video
- how long does hip replacement surgery take
- hip replacement recovery time for elderly